What if You Could Work From Anywhere?
Several years ago, I found myself writing my weekly e-newsletter while looking out over the port of Belize. The cruise ship I was on had just pulled in that morning and almost everyone was off the ship - my favorite time to be onboard!
As I sat writing, I noticed a few disdainful looks from other travelers who must have thought I was a workaholic who didn't know how to relax.
The idea of bringing a computer on vacation must have seemed sad and pitiful to people who didn't understand the concept of being able to work from anywhere.
And yet, to me, it is this laptop lifestyle that allows me to smoothly blend work and play.
I wanted to tell those other travelers not to feel sorry for me - that I had actually figured it all out.
- I don't work like crazy for 50 weeks a year at a job I barely tolerate just to enjoy the other two weeks, reluctantly fitting my life in around my job.
- I have designed my work to fit in around my life.
- I have designed what I want my life to look like and then determined how to make my work support that lifestyle.
It's a fundamental mindset shift for a lot of people and one that seems almost too risky for most.
You may or may not currently generate your own income.
Even if you don't, I encourage you to find a way to express your creativity or knowledge in a way that is both rewarding and profitable.
Instead of (or in addition to) trading your time for money, truly look at how you could help others by sharing what you know, and then just start small. For example:
- Selling your quilted baby blanket creations on Etsy.com
- Writing a blog that appeals to women who like to grow their own herbs
- Holding a webinar for twenty people who would like to learn how to effectively talk with their teenager
- Creating an online course on how to play the piano without sheet music
- Sending out a paid e-newsletter with the latest food and wine pairings for the month
Whatever your talent or knowledge, you are gifted and blessed in a way that can certainly help others. You don't have to be an expert either - you just have to be one or more steps ahead and have the desire to share what you know.
And consider this...
What if someone's entire life could be changed for the better just because you decided to take the risk of putting yourself out there?
There's only one way to find out :-)
You have special gifts, talents, skills, experiences, and expertise that distinguishes you from everyone else and can be your greatest asset in designing a profitable hobby, side-gig, or full-blown work-from-home business.
Whatever you do, start now.
Don't wait until the time is "just right" (it never is) or all your material is completely ready (it never is either).
Just take the first step.
Even with all your gifts and skills, what distinguishes winners from those who "shoulda coulda woulda" isn't just that talent, it's action.
If you need a help getting started, my American Women in Business™ coaching program teaches members exactly how to establish, build, grow, market, and scale a profitable business from home. Check it out :-)