What do you mean, there are no rules? Aren’t there always rules?
Nope, not always.
Growing up, we were taught to follow all the rules if we wanted to succeed – in school, sports, even in our family dynamics.
- Sit up straight
- Line up by height
- Answer only when called upon
But as a woman in business and as a grown up, I deternined I was better suited to determine which rules are absolutely necessary and which are, in fact, more like….guidelines.
Most rules are really just advisory in nature.
They are there to help keep you out of trouble. They are not there to keep you hemmed in, paralyzed with fear, or stuck in a spot that does not serve your business or enhance your life.
Now before you send me a raging email telling me about the benefits of having rules, let me tell you that I do, in fact, believe in rules…when they make sense. I also know that rules keep our society humming.
But many people never “graduate” out of the rule-following mode required for becoming a productive citizen.
Nor do they transform into the type of grown-up who can make rules for her own lives, and use good judgment about whether to follow the existing rules.
We outgrow rules. We do not outgrow our values.
As a grown up, I stopped following these rules:
- you are not allowed to make more money than your parents did
- women in small businesses are not the bread winners
- be quiet, be small, don’t rock the boat, don’t bring attention to yourself
- women in business shouldn’t / can’t make more money than their husbands
- don’t ask for help / don’t collaborate / don’t share what you know with other people
- girls are not good at technology / business / finances
- asking for what you want is rude / pushy / unladylike / selfish
- success is for other people
Make some rules, break some rules, create an adulthood that reflects what you believe and stand by your decisions.
Now, what if one week from today you could feel more like the champion you were meant to be?
Eliminate tolerations, reduce negativity, let go of toxic people, and feel more confident in 7 days or less.
In this FREE 7-day email course, I’ll help you take back your personal power and feel as confident as possible!
Enter your name and email below!
Success! Please check your email to confirm your request.