What do you mean, there are no rules? Aren’t there always rules?
Nope, not always.
Growing up, we were taught to follow all the rules if we wanted to succeed – in school, sports, even in our family dynamics.
- Sit up straight
- Line up by height
- Answer only when called upon
But now that you’re a grown up (you are, aren’t you?!) you are better suited to determine which rules are absolutely necessary and which are, in fact, more like….guidelines.
Most rules are really just advisory in nature.
They are there to help keep you out of trouble. They are not there to keep you hemmed in, paralyzed with fear, or stuck in a spot that does not serve your business or enhance your life.
Now before you send me a raging email telling me about the benefits of having rules, let me tell you that I do, in fact, believe in rules…when they make sense. I also know that rules provide a multitude of benefits by keeping our society humming.
But many people never “graduate” out of the rule-following mode required for becoming a productive citizen, and transform into the type of grown-up who can make rules for her own life and use her good judgment about following the existing rules that are absolutely necessary.
We outgrow rules. We do not outgrow our values.
Here are a few rules I no longer follow:
- you are not allowed to make more money than your parents did
- women are not the bread winners
- be quiet, be small, don’t rock the boat, don’t bring attention to yourself
- women shouldn’t / can’t make more money than their husbands
- don’t ask for help / don’t collaborate / don’t share what you know with other people
- girls are not good at technology / business / finances
- asking for what you want is rude / pushy / unladylike / selfish
- success is for other people
Make some rules, break some rules, create an adulthood that reflects what you believe and stand by your decisions.
Leave me a comment – I’d enjoy hearing about your new rules!
What To Do NowShare your thoughts in the comments below.
Get the FREE 3-Step "Find Your Passion" Action Plan
Listen to The Possibility Podcast
Rock your day! :-)